Monday Minimalist Tip
When you start de-cluttering and being more intentional about your life, you soon realize that the only way to not be constantly de-cluttering, is to gain control of what comes into your home. I must admit that my trash project raised my awareness of bringing in less packaging and stuff. But, there is nothing like an annual de-clutter and doing a few rounds of getting rid of excess, to really hit home that we can can do fine with less!
So, how do you slow or halt the incoming? Here are some tips to help you along:
- Store like items together. Keep your books, papers, beauty products, kitchen items in one spot versus several places around the house. This reduces the chance of not knowing what you have and buying duplicates.
- Take good care of your stuff. Clean, maintain and fix the items that you have prior to tossing and getting new things. My car is 12 years old, but people often ask me if it is new. Taking care of our stuff allows it to last far longer while also giving it the respect and care that it deserves.
- Don’t buy items just because they are on sale. I have a friend who used to constantly shop at Value Village because it was “such a good deal!” But, stop and ask yourself if you need that item. Do you have one at home? Do you have something else that serves that same function? Same thing goes for coupons, don’t use them to buy something you don’t need. And by need I mean something you will use on an ongoing basis starting this week.
- Get clear between what is a need and a want. We convince ourselves that many of our wants are needs as our own way of justifying buying items. I learned a long time ago that the power of wanting is way more powerful than the power of having. Recognizing how powerful wanting is has allowed me to just enjoy wanting.
- Sleep on it! This is good for all decisions really. Often we make impulsive purchases, such as I love that blouse, but what else will you wear it with? And is it something that fits your current lifestyle and will be worn, or is it a bit more of one of those “someday” selves that would wear it? So take a day or so to sleep on it. If you are clear it is something you don’t have and truly need and have the money for, then go back and get it.
I hope this helps you begin to gain some control over items coming into your house. There are lots more tips on this subject, so I may do this same topic next week. If you’d like to be part of my free Facebook De-clutter & Simplify Your Life Group that does an annual de-clutter in December and January, just ask to join here.
If you have other tips you’d like to add, please share them in the comments below. and who knows, I may use your tip in the blog next Monday!
If this article helps you have a more peaceful home and life, I do hope you will “follow” me via my front page!