Monday Minimalist Tip
Today’s tip is nice and simple and that is to ALWAYS have a donation box going. It’s a great place to put things you no longer need, as you come across them. You can collect things there, and once it is full, decide how best to give them to someone else who can use them.
In general most items are probably best to donate, versus taking the time to try to post and sell them. Items of great value and demand would be the exception, or if you need the funds, then Craigslist, Ebay or a local Facebook Garage Sale site are good for selling items.
For donations, I like giving to:
- Community Warehouse here in Portland – Community Warehouse gives their donated items to families in need versus selling them.
- Buy Nothing Project – This site is worldwide and it allows you to give or make requests for items via a Facebook group in your local area. What I like about it is that you get to decide and met those who will get your things. I once had an abundance of bulk foods and I was able to give them to a single mom who was so grateful. Or another time I had a set of Rune Stones that went to a gal who’s mom used to have them. Her mom has since passed away, so they were a fond reminder for her, while being something I no longer needed.
- Vietnam Veterans of America. What I like about the Vietnam Vets is they come pick up your items. You just go online and request a pick-up and often they can even come the very next day! My father was a military veteran, so it also feels good to give back to veterans from any war. They are available in most US states.
I use the box as a holding place. If I think I no longer need something, put it in the box, then by the time the box is full, see if I have missed it. If I haven’t missed it, time to donate! I hope this tip might help you with items you no longer need. Please share any other charities or tips about donations that you have in the comments below.
If you got something of value from this post, consider “following” me via my front page. You will be notified when new posts go up. Thanks for your readership!
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)